The Department of Physics offers specialization in the Condensed Matter Physics (CMP) in M.Sc. Physics Programme. This specialization is offered in the 3rd semester of the course. In the fourth semester of the course project work in specialized field is mandatory. The laboratory will provide experimental set-up for more than approximately 30 different experiments of which at least ten are compulsory for a student to complete. The lists of experiments are provided in the regularly updated Laboratory Manual maintained by the Department of Physics.
List of Experiments:
Students will be required to perform at least 10-12 experiments from the list below:
- To Study the Curie Temperature of Ferro(/Ferri) – electric/magnetic Materials.
- Study of Cooling Curve for Alloy Mixture (lead-tin/Pb-Sn) using Equilibrium Diagram by direct cooling.
- Materials internal structure investigation by employing X-ray diffraction technique (Laue, Single Oscillation, Double Oscillation, Rotation, Weissenberg).
- To measure the Susceptibility of a Paramagnetic solution by Quinck’s Tube Method.
- To study the mono atomic and diatomic lattice dynamics through (a) Dispersion relation for “Mono-atomic Lattice” and comparison with theory. (b) Determination of the Cut-off frequency of the mono-atomic lattice (c) Dispersion relation for the di-atomic lattice, acoustical mode and energy gap.
- To study the ultrasonic velocity and compressibility of liquids with Ultrasonic Interferometer.
- To study the Young s modulus and elastic constant in solids by Piezoelectric Technique.
- Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) in DPPH – Determining the magnetic field as a function of the resonance frequency.
- To Study the solar cell Characteristics.
- To Study the B-H curves of given specimen and estimate the Hysteresis loss.
- To Study the Hall effect in semiconducting crystal and estimate its Hall’s coefficient and carrier concentration.
- To determine the resistivity of given semiconductor crystal and hence the energy band gap using Four probe Method.
- Any one of the following: (a) To determine the thickness of mica sheet using Michelson Interferometer. (b) To determine the thickness of given wire using He-Ne laser.
- To study the dielectric constant of given materials (polystyrene, glass and PCB sheet etc.).
- To determine the thermal conductivity of given material using Lee’s Disc Method.
- Demonstration experiment based on PEM (proton exchange membrane) fuel cells and electrolysis.
- To determine the resistance of thermister at different temperatures and hence estimate its energy band gap.
- To determine the numerical aperture of an optical fiber.
- To measure the temperature dependent viscosity of viscous liquids (e.g. glycerol).
- To determine the specific heat of given metals (copper, brass and aluminum etc.)
Note: Apart from above, course instructor can also pick few experiments from the UGC-Physics Model Curriculum and any other experiments meant for demonstration of concept and training in condensed matter physics and nanotechnology, in general.